What if community partners came together to support teachers and students in projects that connect them to Milwaukee’s Waterways?
The Milwaukee Waters Investigation is a grant funded opportunity that aims to connect K12 teachers and their students to local SE Wisconsin waterways.
On May 2nd, 2023, over 250 local students will hit our waterways for a citywide beach and river investigation and cleanup. Teachers (many of whom are Learn Deep Fellows) and their students will incorporate this event as part of a long term real-world exploration that focuses on Milwaukee’s Waterways. They will have the support from various community science, education, environmental, and business partners to prepare for his field experience. The program offers professional development for participating teachers as well as access to supporting pre- and post activities.
- Cost: None to participating teachers
- Date & Time: Thursday, May 2, 2023. 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Grades: 4th grade or higher.
- Location: A river or beach site in the Milwaukee area. We can assign a location or you could possibly work at a site you currently visit.
- Investigation: Includes a connection to their local waterways; pre-activities in their schoolyard to introduce students to May 2nd activities; the May 2nd event at a beach or river site with 3 sets of activities that students rotate through and then a picnic; and post activities that compare data collected from all sites, and a survey of student’s reflections and next steps they would like to see happen.
- Other Resources: A classroom visit by a project partner can also be scheduled, at no cost, to introduce students to their local waterways and the world’s water resources.
- Media Plan: In May 2023, the student’s projects will be shared with our media partners, public officials and community.
Schools and sites for the 2023 investigation have been selected.
If you are interested in participating during the 2023-2024 school year, please register your interest here: https://bit.ly/MWI2023
This Learn Deep effort is supported by funding through a Wisconsin Coastal Management Program Grant, and Center for Great Lakes Literacy in partnership with Keep Greater Milwaukee Beautiful and Freshwater ToolKit.org
2023 Milwaukee Waters Investigation Sites
Lake Michigan beaches:
- Schlitz Audubon Nature Center,
- Doctor’s Park- Fox Point,
- Atwater Beach,
- Bradford Beach,
- Grant Park
Milwaukee River sites:
- Badger Meter Park
- Hubbard Park
- Jackson Park
Schools Participating the MWI project
Brown Deer SD
- Brown Deer Middle School
Glendale-River Hills SD
- Glen Hills Middle School
Independent Charter Schools
- Pathways High
- Lake Bluff Middle School
- St. Roberts
St. Francis SD
- Deer Creek Intermediate
2023 MWI Project Partners
Partners supporting teachers and students in the Milwaukee Waters Investigation Project: (names in green link to the orgs. website)
Milwaukee Waters Investigation Team
|Learn Deep Milwaukee||Joost Allard||734-431-8365|
|Freshwater Toolkit.org||Kae Donlevy||414-588-0617|