The STEM Studio sessions for our Learn Deep Fellows kicked off today at MSOE. Over this week and next our Fellows will work together with input and support from community partners to design of real-word challenges focused on water. Today’s work began with a focus on goals Fellows have for the program. Through repeated cycles of asking “Why?” we saw those goals grow from tactical hopes for the skills students or teachers might development to visions our Fellows have for their students — that they can see themselves as creators, citizens, individuals who can make a difference in their community. We’ll use those much loftier goals drive the vision for projects knowing that we can hit the initial, tactical ambitions along the way.
We are grateful to MSOE’s We Energies STEM Center for hosting us over the next two weeks and look forward to covering any available surface with ideas and plans to engage students over the coming school year.
We’re excited to announce our inaugural cohort of Learn Deep Fellows! Both the participating teachers and their schools reflect the energy, passion and diversity that is Milwaukee. We look forward to learning with and from these teachers how to design Learning Experiences for every student in Milwaukee. They will be supported in their work by a great group of community partners from higher-ed, industry, and non-profits. That work kicks off in a couple of weeks with a workshop to surface ideas for innovative and challenging collaborative projects focused on water.
With a drum roll, please welcome:
Andrew S. Douglas Middle School (MPS)
- Michelle Young – 6th, 7th, 8th grade; GE Innovation Lab
- Stanley Levells – 7th & 8th grade Math
Audubon Technology & Communication Middle School (MPS)
- Adrian Wade – 6th, 7th, 8th grade; GE Innovation Lab Instructor (6 – 12 schoolwide)
- Amanda Glunz – Grade 8, 9-12 Computer Science
Glen Hills Middle School (Glendale/Riverhills)
- Lalitha Murali – 6th 7th, 8th grade Enrichment classes
- Jennifer Clark – 8th grade; Science and Green Team
- Sarah Lapp – 6th grade Science
- Chloe Stuesser – 7th grade Science
Hayes Bilingual (MPS)
- Miguel Ramirez – 6th 7th, 8th grade; GE Innovation Lab
Rufus King International Middle School (MPS)
- Susan Kridler – 7th grade Science/PLTW; GE Innovation Lab
- Connor Morris – 7th grade Math
Wedgewood Park International Baccalaureate (MPS)
- Elkin Hernandez – 6th 7th, 8th grade STEM
- Theresa Johnson – 6th 7th, 8th grade PLTW and Computer Science
- Jessica Buckley – 6th 7th, 8th grade Advanced Science/Social Studies/Science